Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Making Plans

I have all kinds of plans as to how to blast the stash.  Some may actually make a dent others won't but should make nice gifts or bazaar items.  In preparation for this undertaking I have been on a mission to find as many scrap patterns as possible.  There are tons on the internet but I also managed to buy some patterns and books at the quilt shows.  Gotta love those vendor malls!  So many ideas all in one location.  I have also gotten hooked on new rulers and gadgets that are supposed to make great looking quilts in a fraction of the time it  takes to do them in the tradional way. 

At this point in time I am concentrating on three, oops! make that four projects. 

 - Currently, I am making little dresses for Africa.  I hope to have a dozen completed by the end of November so that I can send them on their way.  They are so cute.  Average use of fabric is one yard per dress.
 
 - Next, I would like to have a total of 15 blocks done in Civil War reproduction fabrics by my next quilt guild meeting in the beginning of November.  These are to be donated to the Home of the Brave project.  Trish, a lady from the guild is coordinating this worthy endeavor within the guild.  I have 10 blocks finished.  Five are cut out and need to be sewn together.  I love civil war reproductions.

 - By October 27 I need a baby quilt pieced for a long arm machine class that I am taking at a local quilt shop.  I am using one of my new toys, the lil' twister ruler, for cutting out the fabric.  The initial sewing of the base blocks is done but I still need to cut them up and then resew them into the new blocks.  I was hoping to make a large dent in this project today but the nice weather got in the way and my time was spent working in the yard.

 - Last but certainly not least, I will be piecing a 12 1/2" block to be combined with blocks from friends to make a quilt for a young woman who is battling breast cancer.

Other future project ideas I have rolling around in my head are pillowcases to send to a shelter for homeless women and their children.  My cousin volunteers there and said the residents need everything.  At some point they will be leaving to set up housekeeping and donations help them acquire some of the necessities.  Next are quillows with no particular destination.  Perhaps these can go to the shelter as well.  They are supposed to go together quickly and use up lots of fabric.  I was thinking some of the "What was I thinking about when I bought this fabric" could be used for these.  Other ideas are rattling around in my head but I will save them for another post..

Once I get my camera set up I will take some pictures to share my progress.  I am also still trying to figure out how to get the layout of my blog set up.  Sooner or later I'll get that under control too.

I hope to gather some readers that share the same goal.  We can swap some ideas! 

Until later,
Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment